- Research in current neuroscience shows mindfulness has proved to be an effective intervention with young people in learning self-regulation. It is also an effective intervention for students lacking self-control and are aggressive or impulsive.
The objective of this course:
This course will give students the tools to excel in and out of the classroom. It is a useful intervention for students to make progress in emotional management, situational awareness, and academic achievement. Through this course, students will learn valuable skills that will help them navigate their way through school as well as the community. This course will help students cultivate kindness, gratitude, self-control, motivation, growth mindset, discipline, respect and more.
What curriculum is taught in this course?
Mindfulness curriculum will include the following:
- Mindfulness of emotions – Learning to respond and not react.
- Mindfulness of thought – Learning how to remain focused and improve attention.
- Mindfulness of relationships – Learning to make our relationships strong.
- Mindfulness of eating – Learning to be thankful and being aware of our blessings.
- Mindfulness of self – Learning to connect with our own self and being kind to our self.
- Mindfulness in conversation – Being aware of the way we speak and learning control in our conversation.
- Gratitude and appreciation: Learning to be grateful and appreciative to be more happy.
- Mindfulness of test taking and exam : Learning mindfulness exercises to deal with anxiety and fear.
- Mindfulness exercise of boredom: Learning strategies to deal with boredom.
Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Curriculum – under SEL we will be covering the following :
- Self-Awareness: The ability to accurately recognize one’s own emotions, thoughts, and values and how they influence behavior. The ability to accurately assess one’s strengths and limitations, with a well-grounded sense of confidence, optimism, and a growth mindset.
- Self-Management : The ability to successfully regulate one’s emotions, thoughts, and behaviors in different situations — effectively managing stress, controlling impulses, and motivating oneself. The ability to set and work toward personal and academic goals.
- Social Awareness The ability to take the perspective of and empathize with others, including those from diverse backgrounds and cultures. The ability to understand social and ethical norms for behavior and to recognize family, school, and community resources and supports.
- Relationship Skills The ability to establish and maintain healthy and rewarding relationships with diverse individuals and groups. The ability to communicate clearly, listen well, cooperate with others, resist inappropriate social pressure, negotiate conflict constructively, and seek and offer help when needed. We will be learning this through some writing exercises in the journal, watching videos that include Ted Talk’s and CNN 10.
- CNN 10 is included in the course as it is important that students remain aware of the world outside of the concrete walls we exist in today during the pandemic. CNN 10 is described as the global news show for a global audience of students. Particularly for some students, exposure to a larger world plays an important role in their development as individuals and their future aspirations. Writing five things they learned from the ten minute news show keeps them focused and also guides them to practice their listening and writing skills.
How is the course taught?
This is an 8-week long course taught through online sessions twice a week for 40 minutes. This course will include mindfulness practice and social emotional learning (SEL) related age-appropriate games, activities, and media.
Who should join this course?
This course is for all students between age groups of 13 to 18 years old . This course will help them learn emotional regulation, mood, empathy, confidence, self-esteem, coping, social skills, and their ability to pay attention. This course is also helpful as a bullying and violence prevention program.
Who will conduct this course?
Massrat Shaikh – Educational Psychologist/ Mindfulness Educator.
Course dates and timings:
Dates : 28th June
Every Monday and Wednesday online sessions
Timing: 5 to 5.40 pm
Fee for the course:
As community support during COVID 19, I am offering this course at a reduced price of 50 OR ( Omani Rial).
What do you get with this course?
SEL resources and a certificate of completion from Mindful Schools USA.